I’m still working on my top 100 blog post challenge from Chris Brogan! 🙂
I am an avid reader – not a day goes by where I don’t read. I used to drive my mother crazy because I would read everything: billboards, signs, labels…I would stop on the street to read signs. Now as an adult, I still do – I read everything and everywhere. I read to my kids every night for about 45 minutes after they each read a chapter from their books. I then read to relax before falling asleep. And that doesn’t include the reading I do during the day – get it? I love to read! 🙂
(photo is taken by my 5 year old, Evanthea, who wanted to show off the book she’s reading right now! Yes, it’s the old school Dick & Jane!)
Here are some of my must buy books in every genre – just my favorites (in no particular order):
1. Puddin’head Wilson by Mark Twain – my greatest literary hero, Mr. Mark Twain. I took a course on him in college and admire him all the more. Puddin’head Wilson essentially mocks society and how ridiculous we all look making decisions based on society’s norms. Something to think about, even today.
2. Crush It by Gary Vaynerchuk – actually, rather than reading it, I suggest you get the audio book and listen to Gary’s passion as he talks. If you’re considering pursuing your dream, check out Gary’s book to put you on the right path.
3. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee – yes, another mockery of society…just another awesomely written novel that had an impact on me. I think I’ve read that book more than a dozen times and pick something new out every time. My favorite scene still remains when Scout screamed “look at him, why don’t you look at him?” Fantastic.
4. Tribes by Seth Godin – true not just in business, we all work and run in tribes. When the leader of the tribe makes a decision to try something, everyone will follow. True…
5. Twilight by Stephanie Meyer – this is a recommendation for the ladies only (guys just won’t get it)…mindless romantic book that reminds me of a pregnancy dream. That’s all I’ll say…
6. Storytime Yoga by Sidney Solis – great read for kids and adults. It’s a compilation of great ancient stories with complimentary yoga poses. I love reading these stories and doing the poses with my kids every night before bed time.
7. Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane – just plain fantastic. Well written, so many twists to make you think at the end. Even if you’ve seen the movie, the book will blow you away.
8. The Little Red Book of Selling by Jeffery Gitomer – the title says it all…it’s how to sell without being a used car salesman.
9. Seth Godin – yeah, he gets listed more than once…read everything by him! His books, his blog, his twitter…everything he puts to writing is cool! 🙂
10.D’aulaire’s Book of Greek Myths by Ingri D’aulaire – a fantastic explaination of all of the mylthological creatures and characters! Helped answer many of my kids’ questions and helped me to remember and entertain!
These are just some of my favorites in general. What about you? What are your favorites? Any I should look into (I’m ALWAYS looking for a good read!)?
Let me know if you want me to list some of my favorites by genres!